This Week at SUMO: The Dark Knight

<e’s very little reason for this review. You should already know about “The Dark Knight;” if you haven’t seen it then someone’s already told you that you should. The film is one of those rarities in history-- a sequel that rivals the original (if you haven’t seen Batman Begins either than you’re in big trouble, mister.) Its not that “The Dark Knight” has a better plot (which it might) or better action sequences (which it does), it’s the ensemble cast of incredible actors which make “The Dark Knight” not just a comic book movie but very honestly a great movie.

Chris Nolan brings back Christian Bale, acting genius, as Batman. Opposite Bale stars Heath Ledger, also acting genius, as the Joker. His portrayal is eerie and scary and incredibly well acted, more eerie and scary in retrospect. Apparently Jack Nicholson (who played the Joker in the 1989 film) warned Ledger about the role.

In support is Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. He plays the role well, especially his transformation at the end of the film. I don’t think it’s possible for Morgan Freeman to ever be a bad actor, and Michael Caine is ever charming as Alfred.

Many will disagree, but I thought Maggie Gylenhaal kind of sucked in this movie. Not like Katie Holmes was going to win an Oscar or anything, but I thought she was at least a little better suited for the role of love interest in the classic action movie. Gylenhaal seemed like she was phoning it in a lot of the time. Also annoying is the Batman voice Christian Bale employs every time the suit goes on.

None of this really matters though. Go see “The Dark Knight,” if only to be culturally literate. Seriously, what were you doing all summer?