Frisbee season

The sun is out (kind of—I’ve been told that my standards for warm weather have changed since coming to college in Minnesota) and thus the frisbees have returned. Now, this isn’t exactly to say that there wasn’t frisbee all winter—I realize that Carleton is a “frisbee school” and that there are resultingly many frisbees here. 

However, over the winter, it is, shockingly, cold, and thus frisbee playing is generally limited to frisbee teams who practice in unknown locations (I’m convinced it’s a secret; if anyone knows differently, please tell me, I’m curious). But, now that it’s warm, I am reminded that this is a frisbee school every time I walk across campus.

Now, I have no problem with frisbee. It’s an excellent sport. Truly wonderful really. But really, I think we need to talk about the safety hazard posed by frisbees. And I don’t mean frisbee players, I very much mean frisbees. 

They are little stabby pieces of plastic that fly through the air, and while I logically know that most people here are at least somewhat capable of catching frisbees, I still have questions. Okay, one question. And it’s more of a concern than a question.

Every time I walk to class, I first journey by the Mini Bald Spot, where I see people playing with frisbees (I realize the correct term is throwing frisbees, but I’m fairly certain it counts as playing with them). And then I continue walking, and I see…more people playing with frisbees. 

And I have two issues. The first is more of a me problem: frisbees tend to go very fast, and I’d rather not be hit by a frisbee. And I realize that’s quite unlikely—when all goes well, someone is supposed to catch the frisbee—and I’ve never actually nearly been hit by a frisbee (well, it was only that one time, although it was really two). But nonetheless, I always have the vague concern that I’m going to be hit by a frisbee and I’m fairly certain that wouldn’t be very pleasant. 

And of course, that danger isn’t limited to walking by people playing frisbee—it also is relevant to people who are playing with frisbees but who may not be experts, because the problem with playing with frisbees is that on this campus, you’ll probably end up doing so with someone who actually plays frisbee. And when such people throw frisbees, they throw them quite fast. I’m sure this is excellent if you’re attempting to win a frisbee game, but when you’re not all that certain of your frisbee-catching abilities, this can be quite nerve-wracking as there is an object flying at your face and you’re supposed to catch it. 

But I digress—that is a risk that people choose to accept, which is not true of the people who are simply going about their days and happen to walk by people playing with frisbees.

And my second issue, now that I think about it, may also be a me problem. Actually, I feel like this is an experience other people have had too (I really hope so, anyway), but if anyone can solve this issue for me, please let me know, because I’m quite curious. Given how many people here play frisbee, it’s a common experience for me to see people I know playing frisbee when I’m walking across campus. And then there is this awkward moment of seeing each other and deciding when to say hi, and I’m convinced there is no answer. Because undoubtedly it’ll take you a few moments to walk by the frisbee-playing-area, and it’s not long enough to have a conversation with them, but it’s slightly too long to simply say hi and nothing else, and so you have these awkward few moments of interaction in which you’re quite unsure of what exactly to say.