Volleyball wins two straight

Aftur consecutive losses, Carleton’s women’s volleyball team got back on track with a dominating 3-1 (25-15, 25-13, 17-25, 25-14) win over the Macalester College Scots September 17. With this victory, the Knights have won their last six MIAC openers, and have won five of their last seven matches against the Scots. In the match, Coach Heidi Luehmann Jaynes’s team was guided by its senior leadership. Megan La Chapelle and Sarah Kunelius, ‘09, recorded 11 and 10 kills, respectively. Kunelius’s contribution to the team was particularly impressive considering that her kill percentage was .600. The third senior on the team, Katie Stanchak, had the defining play of the opening set when her kill capped of 8-1 run for Carleton, and she chipped in five defensive digs. Although the seniors were instrumental in the Knights’ victory, they did get help from their younger teammates. Beth Jarrett ’11 was on target with her sets, which helped Carleton accumulate 37 kills in the match, and junior Laura Barsness led the Knights’ defense with 10 digs. The other storyline from the match was Coach Heidi Luehmann Jaynes. In just her tenth season as head coach, Heidi Jaynes became the winningest coach in Carleton’s women’s volleyball history by picking up her 143rd win, passing Margie Mara who went 142-192 during her tenure. As of September 17, Jaynes had gone 143-105 as head coach of the Knights, a winning percentage of .577.The Knights won only one conference match in the four years prior to Jaynes’ arrival. On Wednesday, Coach Jaynes improved that winning percentage when the Carleton Knights defeated the Augsburg Auggies 3-0. The Knights cruised to a 20-4 lead in the opening set and never gave up their advantage, posting individual scores of 25-19, 25-15, and 25-19. Kelly Lovett ‘11 who turned in a complete performance led Carleton with 11 kills, five digs, and three assists. Lovett was aided by senior Sarah Kunelius’s five block assists. La Chapelle’s also added 14 defensive digs in the match. The Augsburg hitters had 25 hitting errors and a paltry .074 attack percentage, helping the Knights to their fifth victory of the season. The Knights, now 5-6 (2-0 MIAC), will host No.7 University of St. Thomas, who are 13-1 (2-0 MIAC), on Saturday, September 27 at 3 p.m. If the Knights hope to win this match, they must continue their strong play.