College names Masman as the new Director of Campus Activities

<views are done, the results are in, and the Division of Student Life has chosen a new Director of Campus Activities. His name: T. Todd Masman.

After former director Robin Hart Ruthenbeck left Campus Activities in late February, the process of finding and hiring a replacement began. Numerous applicants sent resumes in for this position, but T. Todd Masman, in the last batch of candidates from human resources, caught the attention of the interviewers. His experience, knowledge, passion, and enthusiasm jumped out from the paper and, after conducting a phone interview and checking his references, the interview committee added him as an official candidate and invited Masman to campus for a personal interview.

The interview, conducted by a group of students and staff, was clearly a success as he was offered the position. Yet It wasn’t just the interview that caused the committee chose him for the job. Much of the decision was based upon the experience that Masman has had. His familiarity with various aspects of collegiate student life is extensive. T. Todd is currently the Director of Leadership and Service at Bemidji State University, but his professional roles at various institutions have included residential life, student involvement and multicultural education as well as first year/orientation components. He has served as the director of student activities at many other schools, including the College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University, Albion College, Hamline University, and Wartburg College, as well as being on the Board of Directors of the National Association for Campus Activities. Masman has also worked as the Director of Hobson Memorial Student Union at BSU. In addition, Masman is a past president of the Minnesota College Personnel Association (MCPA) and received the 2007 MCPA’s Lud Spolyar Distinguished Service Award. Last year, he was also recognized by the American College Personnel Association as the Outstanding State & International Division Leader.

As for his own educational background, Masman attended West Virginia Wesleyan College as an undergraduate, majoring in Christian Education and minoring in Psychology. Thirteen years later, he returned to school to receive a graduate degree. He attended Bowling Green State University and received a Masters of Arts with a concentration in College Student Personnel in the Higher Education Program. Since that time, he has been gaining all the experiences listed above and is currently preparing for his new position at Carleton, where he will officially become a staff member in mid-July.

Masman is very excited to start his new job with us here at Carleton and has said, “I’m thrilled to be coming to Carleton at a time when there is a strong commitment to developing a vibrant campus activities program. I look forward to working alongside the rest of the staff to transform the department and connecting with students to create an engaging and involved experience.”
Masman is expected to do an excellent job and the College is hoping that his contribution to the Carleton campus will indeed help to create a more engaging and involved experience. The committee that selected Masman as the new Director of Campus Activities believes that Carleton students can look forward to meeting a new staff member and watching campus activities transform into a “vibrant” office.