Fix ‘08 awarded Fulbright to spend ten months in Taiwan

<r Miranda Fix, Mathematics major and French and Francophone Studies concentrator, was awarded the English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Fulbright and will spend 10 months, starting this fall, in Yilan, Taiwan.

The Fulbright Program awards grants to individuals, including college graduates, planning to teach or do research in foreign countries. The application process requires the applicant to explain his or her interest in the chosen country as well as what they plan to accomplish there and what impact they will have. Fulbright grant money comes primarily from the U.S. State Department, but also from hosting countries and institutions that support Fulbright Scholars.

Fix lists multiple reasons for her decision to apply to the ETA program in Taiwan, one being her personal heritage. “I’m half Taiwanese—my mother was born there and immigrated here. When I was ten, I spent a year there attending a public elementary school, I haven’t been back since,” Fix said. “I think it I will be interesting to be back, but on the other side of the classroom.”

Through the Fulbright Fix can continue to explore her interest in other cultures and languages. “I’m fluent in English and Mandarin, advanced in French, and beginning Hungarian. I’m really interested in languages and teaching languages.”

During the program, Fix will have the opportunity to explore Taiwanese culture as well as to shadow native teachers and gain teaching experience. “I’m not sure about the details. I think I’ll be assisting a Taiwanese teacher [as well as teaching]. I’ll be in Yilan, a northern area of Taiwan. There are 14 total people in my group,” Fix said.

Besides her residence in Taiwan as a child, Fix has traveled to Mali on the Carleton Francophone Studies Mali program, as well as to Hungary on the Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Program.

During her time on campus, Fix has been involved in the Chinese Music Ensemble, environmental issues such as helping to promote and build the green roof, and with KRLX. “It has been helpful because it has given me the opportunity to study abroad twice. It has opened my eyes as to what is out there. The liberal arts education has given me skills to deal with a wide variety of problems.” green roof, and with KRLX. Fix says of her time at Carleton.

As far as being prepared for the Fulbright, Fix feels, “My language study has really prepared me. It’s going to be a challenge teaching; I haven’t taken education classes and I don’t have that much experience teaching, besides being a camp counselor and tutoring. But it’s a challenge I signed up for.”

Beyond the Fulbright, Fix may go on to graduate school to pursue an education degree or stay in Taiwan to teach. “I’m not sure what to do, which is why I was looking for a one year program and a chance to do something different. I think I’ll apply to graduate school, but I need to take some time to think about what I want to do with the rest of my life,” Fix said.

In light of her upcoming trip, Fix offers advice to other Carls. “I’d recommend to anyone who is interested in doing something like the Fulbright to ask someone who’s done it before.”

Fix also advises potential Fulbright applicants to “find something you’re really passionate about. In terms of applying for these grants, it comes across if you’re passionate and you know this is what you want to do.”

For more information visit the Fulbright website at http://www.cies.org/about_fulb.htm or contact Miranda Fix at [email protected].