Class of 2019 members introduce themselves

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 1">

Joshua Crotts

“Hi, I’m Joshua. I am from a military family that moved around Europe a lot during my childhood. As a result of that I have had the opportunity to learn several different languages at different levels. I have learned Italian, French and Spanish but only enough to get by while I was living there. Now I’m trying to learn Japanese. In the future I want to study abroad and possibly get a job in Japan.

Jean La Fontaine

“Hi, I’m Jean. I just spent a year working as a member of the AmeriCorps through the VISTA program for Habitat for Humanity. I helped Houston Habitat for Humanity raise the funds necessary to build houses and I helped coordinate HHFH’s volunteers. I also helped the college campus chapters of Habitat for Humanity at the University of Houston and Rice University raise money to either build or pay off their respective houses. I’m originally from Carolina, Puerto Rico, and my family is from a low-income background. I want to help end the cycle of poverty. In the future, I would like to go back home in order to help children from Puerto Rico with academic potential break through the cycle of poverty. That’s what drives me.” 

Elyse Wazenreid

“Hi, I’m Elyse. One interesting thing about me is that I hold citizenship in both the US and Switzerland. I think my ties to Switzerland helped me cultivate an interest in conflict and conflict resolution, something I could see culminating in a career in international law or relations. I’m also passionate about helping other people. When I was in elementary school, I met a girl who became one of my close friends. She always dreamed of building a vegetable garden where the food grown could feed those in need. When she passed away at 13, my friends and I helped create this dream in memory of her. Her impact in my life really resonated with me as the garden celebrated its fifth year anniversary this spring. At the ceremony, I was asked to perform a spoken word piece on behalf of her, since one of my other central interests is writing and I was one of the founders of the spoken word club at my high school.” Elyse is passionate about writing, reading, international relations, and diplomatic conflict resolution. She also plays for the women’s varsity volleyball tea.