New keys, same cold

With temperatures regularly dipping well below zero overnight, getting locked out in the cold is a scary prospect – particularly as Carls, burdened with end-of-term assignments, stagger home later and later at night. Indeed, the overwhelming strain upon would-be reporters has compelled your correspondent to write an article about replacement door keys on Thursday night.

Neverthless, Residential Life has opted to proceed with plans to recore housing locks with less than two weeks remaining in the term. In an all-campus email sent Wednesday the 25th, resident were informed that their locks would be changed either Tuesday or Wednesday night of this week.

Residential life staff members were unavailable for interview Thursday afternoon. An unidentified employee, however, denied that the project was related to recent break-ins in student housing.

“All colleges do this,” she said.

She added that the project was a campus-wide undertaking, part of a series of regularly scheduled upgrades, and referred further inquiries to Carleton’s Facilities office.

Some Carleton students were befuddled by the odd timing of the procedure.

“If this is just a regular scheduled thing they do, this is really weird timing,” said one resident of a west side house who declined to give his name. “It’s below zero and I have to write papers and take tests. Now I have to remember to schlep over to Res. Life and deal with them or I’ll have to sleep on those grody Sayles couches.”

“I don’t know why they couldn’t wait for break or the beginning of next term,” he added.

Other students, however, were unconcerned.

“I went over there [to Res Life] and it’s not that big of a deal,” said another anonymous student. “People just love to complain here. It’s getting stressful and they’ve got to get their ya-yas out.”