Tandem Bagels to Open on Tuesday, Spreading Doughy Love

<rthfield, rejoice: the first legitimate bagel bakery in town, since Bagel Bros. shut down several years ago, will open on Tues. March 5 and begin spreading warm, doughy goodness with their special bagel recipes.

Tandem Bagels, located on 3rd and Division St. in downtown Northfield, was originally set to open in February 2013, but pushed the date back so that everything could be flawless when they opened.

Married couple Tony and Anne Frentz decided to open the store after learning how to run a bagel business in the 1990’s. They used to be co-partners at Bagel and Bros. and when that shut down, they decided to take some time to learn how to make bagels the “New York” way.

“We wanted to make bagels the true, authentic way,” Tony Frentz said. They even went so far as to buy a bagel machine in Nantucket, MA to ensure a real East Coast bagel production technique, hoping to amp up the classic bagel taste.

The Frentz’s learned how to perfect their bagel, and other bakery items, recipes from a Jewish Bagel Union New Yorker. In addition to bagels and traditional bakery items, Tandem Bagels will also serve coffee and sandwiches, made fresh everyday.

Another Tandem Bagels store opened in Mankato, which is about 60 miles southeast of Northfield, to great reviews and raves about the delicious homemade taste of their baked goods. Thankfully, Northfielders won’t have to walk very far to get their fresh, warm bagels.

For Carleton students, the opening of the store comes in time for finals period, when students will be needing a power snack. Just head down to Tandem Bagels, they’ll be waiting for you.