Caught in the ACT: Civic Engagement Series Panel next week

<ay, Feb. 23, from 12-1 pm in the Great Hall, the ACT Center will be hosting a panel with a catered Mediterranean lunch with various speakers from the Northfield Community.  This event is part of the ACT Center's Civic Engagement Series, a month of events focused on local and global food issues.

The speakers will include five members from the Northfield Community:

Tim Geary, plant manager at Malt-o-Meal, will be the first speaker. 

The second speaker will be Reginaldo Haslett-Marroquin from the Rural Enterprise Center. The Rural Enterprise Center takes an economic development approach to poverty reduction and community building.  It brings together the support infrastructure, resources, systems and programs that rural community members and specifically, Latino entrepreneurs need to succeed. 

The third speaker will be Katrina Karlsen from the Food Shelf Program, a program run by the Northfield Community Action Center.   The Food Shelf not only provides food to families in need, but it also provides grocery vouchers, emergency food, and food delivery.

The fourth speaker will be Katie McKenna, the District Manager from Bon Appétit.

The final speaker will be Kathy Zeman from Simple Harvest Farm Organics.   Simple Harvest Farm Organics in Nerstrand, MN is a diversified food farm that offers a certified organic food pick up at the farm. This farm also raises poultry, rabbits, milk goats, grass-fed lambs, and pork.   The farm makes goat milk soap and harvests honey.

The five panelists will speak about a variety of issues surrounding food.  They will address where they work, what their organizations do, and what they do there.  They will address their views on the major food issues or inequalities in our local community and how their organizations address these issues or inequalities.  They will also give advice to students interested in pursuing careers in their respective fields.  Lastly, they will give students more information to get involved with their organizations. 

As the culminating event for the Civic Engagement Series month, the ACT Center hopes to see at least one hundred Carleton students and community members attend!