COVID-19 alert level lowered

COVID-19 cases on campus are back down following a spike in sixth week, during which there were over 90 students in isolation at one point. Following the COVID-19 Core Team’s decision-making framework and considering the receding strains on campus, the college alert level was changed from high to medium on May 23. Medium level indicates “Campus case prevalence is moderate or trending upward and may be putting strain on campus operations.”

Masking continues to be mandatory inside academic and residential buildings on campus, except in private rooms or houses. The COVID-19 Core Team relayed their plans to continue masking through the end of the term to mitigate another serious outbreak that would disrupt end of the year activities: “At this time, we expect that indoor masking will continue to be required on campus through the remainder of the academic year. We have seen episodic increases in strain on campus operations and resources over the last several months, and indoor masking reduces the likelihood of a surge in cases that could impact final exams and commencement.”

The team suggested masks would become optional again for fully vaccinated and boosted individuals on June 7 after students move out of residence halls: “Our intention is to move to a mask-optional environment for fully vaccinated and boosted (if eligible) individuals — including visitors — beginning at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 7, following completion of the student move-out process. This plan could change if we experience a substantial increase in case rates leading up to that date. Masks will continue to be required for those who are not fully vaccinated and boosted.”

Cases on campus continue to fluctuate but have significantly decreased since peaking on May 4. The Rapid Testing Site continues to be open for the remainder of the term for those who experience symptoms or are close-contacted, with results available within an hour of testing.