T. Todd Masman, Director of Campus Activities, to resign later this week

<dd Masman, Director of Campus Activities, has resigned, just four months after coming to Carleton. He is leaving “to pursue other professional opportunities.” Hudlin Wagner, Vice President of Student Development and Dean of Students said of Masman, “I have strong support for his skills and he will be an asset as he moves into his next opportunity.”

This will be the second administrative position that the college needs to fill. Carleton has been searching for an Associate Dean of Students since the beginning of the school year. ResLife and Campus Activities would both report to the new dean. The Office of Student Life has already arranged interviews with prospective candidates for the position. The new dean will likely join Carleton in the coming months. Wagner stated that the hiring of a new Director of Campus Activities will probably be one of the first responsibilities of the new dean. Students will also be involved in the search for a new director.

Associate Dean of Students Joe Baggot spoke with CSA Monday night to discuss the temporary effects of Masman’s resignation. He stated that organizing activities and reserving spaces for said activities may be more difficult in the last couple weeks of the current term. However Caitlin Fleming ’09, president of the CSA, doubted there will be much of an effect in the long run. “The great work that [Masman’s] done this term probably won’t impede on upcoming student events and activities. As an independent body, the CSA’s work will continue and we will be working with the Campus Activities office in their new transitions.”

Dean Wagner assured that the services that Campus Activities provides will continue to be available to students in the interim. Wagner said that various deans will spend time overseeing the office but hinted that Dean Baggot will primarily be responsible until a new Associate Dean is found. Besides the director, the Campus Activities office is composed of an associate director, a hall director who is affiliated with the office and seventeen students. The director’s role is to support student initiatives; oversee plans on major events on campus such as Halloween Concert, Mid-Winter Ball and Spring Concert; and motivate and encourage the staff.

As Director, Masman helped to contribute to several initiatives that have improved the campus, many of which involved New Student Week and the first-year student experience. He instituted diversity education for New Student Week leaders and a hospitality and information tent that helped new parents connect various campus offices when new students first arrived. Masman also created a first-year student task force whose recommendations on improving the experiences of new students will be presented on December 1. The task force’s recommendations are based on surveys filled out by first-year students.

Masman said that he made his final decision after reflecting with on the status of campus services, talking with Deans Baggot and Wagner and “looking into some new possibilities”. Baggot said of Masman’s departure, “When you start the year, you have a feeling that everyone is going to be there in June. It’s not unheard of people pursuing opportunities… mid-year staffing changes are always a surprise.”