CSA presidential candidate

<r Editor,
With eighth week fast approaching, I thought I would take a moment to remind your readers about one of the most exciting events to hit Winter Term 2008. That’s right, CSA Elections. In all seriousness, CSA Elections will be taking place at the end of next week and I will be running for President. You should vote. On the first day that you stepped into Sayles, you became a member of the Carleton Student Association. Though many of you have only interacted with the CSA Senate when attempting to get funding for your group’s activity or borrow the crepe maker, the Senate actually has the ability to make some real changes in your everyday lives.

In the past year, Senators have been working on issues of Career Center Improvements, Student Wellness Center Reviews, Campus-Wide Wireless Internet Connection, Club Sports P.E. Credit, and Student Financial Aid, among many others. The Senate has the capacity to address your concerns and bring about the necessary steps to improve student life. You have the power to decide who will work towards these goals.

Which brings me to my next point: why I am running for CSA President. To be brief, I think that the CSA President should be someone who takes an interest in a variety of activities, cares about the quality of life of his or her fellow students, and desires to improve said quality of life. I think that I can be that person. As a Political Science and Studio Art double major, Women’s Rugby player, Resident Assistant, and CSA Senator, I have had the opportunity to engage with a variety of people and activities. Among the diverse and inspiring individuals that I have met in my own Carleton experience, I have discovered one common wish. We all want to be happy. I don’t know about you, but I thrive on the enthusiasm of my fellow students – enthusiasm that requires an accepting environment in which to grow. We want to be comfortable enough with our surroundings to expand our academic, social, athletic, spiritual, and personal horizons and the administration of Carleton has a huge impact on our ability to do so. There are a lot of changes around the corner for our college, and I think that it is important for as many student voices as possible to be represented in the discussion about the new face of Carleton.

While I hope you will consider me as an able representative of your Student Association who will strive to make Carleton an engaging place for everyone, I am more concerned that you take an interest in next week’s elections. The individuals elected will be representing your interests and shaping the direction in which our college turns. So, think about what you want your Carleton to be next year and look for candidate platforms, debates, and other election activities starting Monday.