Third annual Pink Party reminds Carleton that violence against women is not just a women’s issue: Date auction to the Vagina Monologues raises money for the HOPE Center in Faribault

<d annual Pink Party will take place Saturday, February 2. Leahruth Jemilo ’08 and Love Anani ’07 created the event in 2006 in order to raise money for the HOPE Center in Faribault which is an essential community resource for women in this community.

This week, members of the Carleton community had the opportunity to purchase raffle tickets to win a date with one of the featured Carls. The drawing will coincide with the Pink Party event—taking place Saturday, February 2. The date? To the February 9 performance of Vagina Monologues.

Not only does the event raise money, it raises awareness about the prevalence of sexual and domestic violence experienced by too many women. The 40 Carleton men involved in this year’s date auction participate in the event because they want to emphasize “violence against women is not just a women’s issue.” “The event itself helps to make sexual violence prevention something that is accessible to all men, not solely those who consistently self select for this kind of activism” said Jemilo.

Colin Bottles ’09 is participating in the Pink Party because, “I come from a family of very strong women. Women’s rights and respect for women are values that were impressed on me from a young age.”

Peter Fritz ’08 is participating in the Pink Party because “violence against women is unspeakably disgusting to me. The presumption of power inherent in that sort of act is a hubris that denies the common things we share as people.”

Kevin Tell ’09 is participating in the Pink Party because “being raised solely by women, I learned at a young age how strong women are. Despite this, society feels women are the weaker sex. By standing up against the mistreatment, I hope to dispel this myth.”

Proceeds from the date raffle will go directly to the HOPE Center—a facility that seeks to “create zero tolerance for sexual and domestic violence through healing, outreach, prevention and education.”
A new initiative at the HOPE Center engages youth in a campaign to end sexual and domestic violence within the community. The program, “Messaging in Action – Yes, You Can Make the Difference,” intends to change expectations about sex, dating and relationships within the younger demographic. HOPE Center’s website includes statements from project participants

“The event is empowering for all of the men and women involved, and I am proud of every single guy who has dedicated time and effort to such a valuable cause,” Jemilo continued.

Whatever the reason for their participation and whatever form support emerges, the attitude of these Carls should be a hopeful reminder that change is possible.