Annual Volunteer for Carleton preview

<lunteer for Carleton 2008 will take place from January 6 until January 11 in Great Hall. The student committee has been planning for this event for months now. Committee members include Jim Avery ’10, Jonelle Carerra ’10, Anna Losacano ’10, Amy Olivares ’10, and Kalie Petti ’09.

Volunteer for Carleton is an annual event hosted by the Alumni Annual Fund office, the Stewardship office and the event’s student committee. The event provides students with the opportunity to continue the Carleton tradition of giving back to the college like many alumni before them. It is also a chance for students to show their appreciation for what alumni have made possible to the College.

Losacano participated in last year’s event and enjoyed the event so much that she has joined the event’s student committee this year to be a part of the planning. “Alumni still feel such a connection to the college, but it’s rare for students to get to interact with them and share that connection. Volunteer for Carleton is a way to share that connection by chatting with them and learning from them, and it’s also a way to remember how important they are to the college,” Losacano said. Cassie Schuette, the student committee’s staff liaison, voiced a similar opinion, saying, “Alumni really appreciate receiving phone calls and connecting with today’s students. In fact, some alumni request that they be contacted by a student. But not only do alumni look forward to the event, the students find it very rewarding as well. They are continuing the Carleton tradition and giving back to the college like many Alumni before them have.”

This year, students will also be participating in a challenge against alumni, as well as earning points to be used at Friday’s silent and live auctions. Auction items of the past have included gift certificates to local businesses and the Carleton bookstore, rides to the airport, and Sleep Number beds. These items are donated by the Carleton and Northfield community in show of their support for the event.

This year’s event will feature a beach theme with different foods served each night, such as the raved-about Mango Lassis from Kurry Kabab, Basil’s Pizza, and Hogan Brothers. Other items to look forward to are t-shirts for all participants and fleece blankets for those who earn 100 points or more through their participation.

If you have any questions regarding Volunteer for Carleton, please contact Cassie Schuette in the Alumni Annual Fund Office or any of the student committee members.