Swim team honors Ted Mullin with Hour of Power Relay for Cancer

<ay November 6 at exactly 4 p.m. Central time, 5 Eastern, 2 Pacific, the Carleton Swimming and Diving team jumped into the water for the Second Annual Hour of Power. Joining the Knights in pools across the nation were over 3100 swimmers representing over 44 college, high school, and club swim teams. Filling the stands of Thorpe pool were those who have survived cancer, have cancer, or are supporting those with cancer. As cheers erupted from the deck and stands, an incredible feeling of strength and unified power resonated in the minds of everyone present. Knowing that over 3000 swimmers were doing the exact same thing at the same time across the country was inspirational and a great honor to those affected by cancer nationwide.

The event, organized by the Knights and the Mullin family, is held in honor of Ted Mullin, a Carleton swimmer who passed away last year after a two year battle with sarcoma, a rare form of cancer. The Hour of Power consists of continuous all-out relays in all 6-lanes of the pool with the objective of keeping all lanes on the same length for one hour. The set is not only a team tradition, but the embodiment of Ted Mullin’s attitude of “leave it in the pool.” Knights Head Coach Brooke Larsen reflected, “even when Ted was weak from his treatment, he always gave it his all no matter what.” Swimmers have to work together to keep all the relays together and to motivate each other through total exhaustion.

Before the event, swimmers are asked to receive pledges and donations, all of which go to benefit cancer research. After his passing, the Ted Mullin Cancer Research fund was founded at the University of Chicago. The fund is dedicated to treating and preventing pediatric cancer. Last year, the Hour of Power raised over $11,000 for Ted’s fund with only 11 teams participating

What started as an event with only a couple MIAC schools last year has grown to over 44 schools representing 19 different conferences, including the Big 10. “Next year is going to be even bigger” promised Rick Mullin, Ted’s father. Rick plans on making his claim a reality as he travels nation wide promoting the event.

The Knights travel to St. Kate’s on Friday to compete against St. Kate’s and Hamline at the St. Kate’s mini invite.