Busy weekend for men’s swimming concludes at Luther Sprint Invite

<mpeting for the second time in as many days, the Carleton College men’s swimming and diving team claimed top honors in the 200-yard freestyle relay at the five-team meet.

“Overall, a strong showing for both teams despite being tired from last night’s meet with Gustavus,” said Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “This is often the reality our teams face at this point in the season, but the expectation is to push through fatigue and to perform with high levels of effort and determination. I think this weekend of racing was ideal in this sense. I’m definitely happy with the output and competitiveness the teams showed.”

Carleton’s top finish on the day came in the final event, the 200-yard freestyle relay as Nick Reeves (Jr./Kirkland, Wash./Lake Washington), Stevie Fitch (So./Redmond, Wash./Nikola Tesla Stem School), Sam Darwish (Jr./Akron, Ohio./University School), and Jack Dalluge (Jr./Waverly, Minn./Watertown-Mayer) combined on a time of 1:31.36.

Ryan Wetzel (Jr./Salem, Ore./West Salem) was recognized with the team’s “Can of Corn” Award as he finished third in the 50-yard backstroke with a time of 26.45. He was also fourth in the 100-yard freestyle (51.00) and 100-yard IM (58.36).

The Knights recorded nine additional top-five individual results:

• Fitch was the runner-up in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:40.44. In the 50-yard butterfly, he touched the wall at 24.85 to grab fourth place, narrowly edging out Eli Offman (Fy./Toronto, Ont./Canada Greenwood College) who finished in 24.94).

• Dalluge also posted a top-five result in the 1000 freestyle (11:05.09) and 50-yard freestyle (23.30).

• Reeves finished fifth in the 50-yard breaststroke (29.82).

• Axel Stahl (So./Tijeras, MN/Sandia Prep) took fifth place in the 100-yard backstroke (1:07.46).

• Jack Heinzel (So./Pennington, N.J./Hopewell Valley Central) nabbed fifth place in the 100-yard IM with his time of 58.49.

• Benjamin Willmore (Fy./Salt Lake City, Utah/Rowland Hall) took third place in the 500-yard freestyle, reaching the wall at 5:13.39 to improve on his previous season best by more than 26 seconds.

Carleton will visit Saint John’s University for a dual meet next Saturday, Jan. 19 at 12 p.m.