Tennis takes first loss against D1 Uni of Minni

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 4">

For the seventh time in the last eight seasons, the Carleton College women’s tennis team has had the opportunity to play two levels up as the Knights test themselves against the University of Minnesota, a nationally-ranked NCAA Division I program. Carleton (5-1) absorbed its first loss of the season, falling by a 7-0 tally.

Knights’ head coach Luciano Battaglini spent four seasons as an assistant with the Golden Gophers program before taking over the reigns at Carleton in time for the 2007-08 campaign. It is that connection that affords the Knights this unique opportunity. In the six previous meetings between these programs, the Knights have won only one singles match—Hannah Goldberg won at sixth singles in 2010—so Sunday’s 7-0 result is not a big surprise.

Joyce Yu (Jr./Taipei, Taiwan/ Taipei American School) found the most success on Sunday, winning five games as she dropped a 6-3, 6-2 result at third singles. The rest of the Carleton singles lineup won a total of four games on the day.

Yu and Mikayla Becich (Jr./Brad- fordwoods, Pa./North Allegheny) lost 6-1 at first doubles, while Alana Danieu (Fy./East Aurora, N.Y./East Aurora) and Grace Davis (Jr./Neen- ah, Wis./Neenah) posted an identical score at second doubles.

Carleton has a pair of primetime conference matches upcoming. The Knights host Bethel University at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, March 6 at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville, Minn. Carleton then returns to Baseline Tennis Center for face St. Catherine University on Saturday, March 7 at 7:30 p.m.