Carleton volleyball clinches playoff spot

<st everything seemed to go right for the Carleton volleyball team this past week, as the Knights (19-3, 7-3 MIAC), as they scored victories over Concordia-Moorhead and St. Mary’s, clinching a spot in the MIAC playoffs in the process. The Knights are currently third in the MIAC, and depending on the result of their final regular season contest at St. Olaf this Saturday, the Knights could host a MIAC Quarterfinal playoff game this coming Tuesday, October 30th.

Last Saturday, The No. 21 Knights made the trip north to Concordia College-Moorhead, and swept the No. 17 team in the country, 3-0 (30-20, 30-21 and 30-27). It was the first win for the Knights in Concordia since 1993, as the Knights dealt the Cobbers (16-6, 8-2 MIAC) only their second conference loss of the season. Captain Samantha Hendricks ’08 led the Knights with a match high 18 kills from her outside hitter position, striking the ball with power and authority and sending the Cobber defense sprawling across their home court. Many of Hendricks’ kills were set up by the stellar passing of fellow captain Heather La Chapelle ’08, who led the Knights with 44 assists. Junior Megan La Chapelle added 12 kills and 16 digs for the ladies, who collectively exhibited a dominant service game, using several late runs to close the Cobbers out.

This Wednesday, the Knights defeated St. Mary’s 3-1 (23-30, 30-23, 30-15, and 30-21) in their final home match of the regular season. It was senior night, and prior to the game, players Samantha Hendricks, Heather La Chapelle, Rachel Popielarz, and Libby Ritz, and student coaches Erik Hove and Egohsa Awaah were honored. The Cardinals (17-11, 3-7 MIAC) were looking to play the role of spoilers, and jumped out to early 19-7 lead en route to a 30-23 victory. The Knights once again looked disjointed in the opening game, a problem that has seemed to plague them this season, but were able to turn around their play and take the next three games behind strong front line play from sophomore middle hitter Annie Eckhoff, Hendricks, and Megan La Chapelle. Eckhoff had a match high 16 kills, and Heather La Chapelle led the Knights with 51 assists. Junior Sarah Kunelius had a match high seven blocks, and also contributed seven kills for the Knights.