Despite record times, Knights fall short to St. Olaf in final meet of season

The Carleton College men’s swimming and diving team competed against cross-town rival St. Olaf College as the Knights celebrated Senior Day. Four seniors on the Knights’ roster were honored during a special ceremony; Alex Simonides (Palo Alto, Calif./Los Alto), Andrew Cely (Plano, Texas/Plano), Eli Danson (Wausau, Wis./Wausau East), and Evan Harris (Lexington, S.C./Lexington). Although the Oles won, 173-107, the Knights captured four victories and broke several season and lifetime records.

Head coach Andy Clark remarked, “I was proud of how the guys swam and how they nar- rowed the point gap. Giving the training we have been doing, the energy that the guys brought to the meet today, and the times they posted give me great confidence in what lies ahead for them as we head toward the MIAC meet.”

In individual competition, Simonides took third in the 200 – yard freestyle (2:00.98) and 11th in the 100-yard freestyle (54.92). Both times were new career bests. Cely finished seventh in both the 200-yard butterfly (2:10.92) and the 200-yard IM (2:16.22). Dan- son finished fourth in the 200 fly (2:05.28) and was also fourth in the 500-yard freestyle (5:12.92).

Harris touched first for the Knights in the 200-yard breast – stroke, completing the distance in 2:11.75. He also placed second in both the 200-yard IM (1:58.33) and 200-yard freestyle (1:47.36).

Alex Mathson (So./Verona, Wis./Verona) triumphed in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:04.95, winning by nearly a margin of 13 seconds. In doing so, Mathson shattered his season best record by about 10 seconds. Mathson also knotched a victory in the 500-yard freestyle, taking first by almost nine seconds at 4:54.24. He also secured a second-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke, finishing at a life – time best of 2:00.95.

Wilson Josephson (Jr./Mount Hermon, Mass./Northfield Mount Hermon) scored a victory in the 200-yard butterfly, posting a time of 2:00.78. Colin Lau (Fy./ Minnetonka, Minn./Hopkins) finished second in the event with a time of 2:01.49.

Stephen Grinich (Jr./Mc- Minnville, Ore./McMinnville) snagged a second-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly at 53.30, breaking his season-best time of 53.92.

The Knights will travel to the University of Minnesota Aquatics Center in Minneapolis for the Minnesota Challenge on February 6-7. Racing begins at 6:00pm on Friday and continues with sessions at 11:00am and 6:00pm on Saturday.