Tsutsui Named Preseason All- American

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 6">

Outfielder Hayden Tsutsui (Jr./Northridge, Calif./Chatsworth) has been tabbed a Pre-season All-American by D3baseball.com. A second-team selection, Tsutsui is the first Carleton baseball player to be named to a preseason All-America squad and is the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference’s (MIAC) lone representative on the website’s listing of 45 of the top players in the country.

Hayden Tsutsui, baseball headshot, Carleton CollegeTsutsui burst onto the national scene during his memorable debut campaign in 2013 when he batted .462—the sixth-highest figure among all NCAA players (Division I, II, and III) that year—along with 38 RBI and a .636 slugging percentage. He garnered several postseason awards, including D3baseball.com National Rookie-of-the-Year.

He experienced no sophomore slump, posting similar stats again in 2013, including a .428 batting average, 35 RBI, and a .671 slugging percentage. Not surprisingly, he earned both All-MIAC and All-Region recognition in both 2013 and 2014.

In just two seasons, Tsutsui has already moved into several career top-10 lists in Carleton baseball’s recorded history. He owns the top career batting average (.444) and on-base percentage (.482), while ranking second in slugging (.654), sixth in home runs (7), seventh in doubles (31), and ninth with 73 RBI.

Each of D3baseball.com’s first, second, and third teams is comprised of 15 players: a catcher, first base, second base, shortstop, third base, three outfielders, designated hitter, a utility player, four starting pitchers, and a relief pitcher.