Ramey Ties Carleton Career Home Run Record, But Knights Fall Victim to Gustavus’ Sweep

<mey ‘14 belted her first two home runs of the season in game one, but the Carleton College softball team found itself on the wrong end of two tight contests, falling to visiting Gustavus Adolphus College by scores of 6-4 and 2-0.

Ramey gave the Knights the lead in the opener, starting the bottom of the first with a home run to left field. It was the first of her five hits on the day.

Gustavus countered with a pair of two-out runs in the fourth and added an unearned tally in the fifth. The Knights knotted the score at 3-3 when Katrina Harper ‘14 delivered a two-run, two-out single in the bottom of the frame.

In the top of the seventh, the Gusties came up with a pair of two-out hits that plated three more runs. Ramey smacked her second homer of the game in the bottom of the inning, with the solo shot marking her third career multi-home game. The long ball was the 12th of her career, tying Vickie Gunderson ’05 for most home runs in program history.

Carleton pitchers Kaitlin Bagley ‘14 and Keelin Davis ‘16 worked out of several jams, stranding eight Gusties in scoring position in game one.

Runs were even harder to come by in the nightcap as the two squads combined for only 10 hits, including just one extra-base hit apiece.

Carleton’s best chance to score came in the bottom of the first but a perfect throw from Gustavus’ centerfielder Brittany Brenke cut down Ramey trying to score on Micaela LaRose’s (Jr./Waconia, Minn./Holy Family) single. The Gusties got on the scoreboard with a two-out tally in the third and added an unearned run in the fifth.

After tossing 2.1 innings of relief in game one, Davis fanned six in a complete-game effort while scattering six hits and a walk.

“Two well-fought games today,” said Carleton head coach Amy Erickson. “There is always room for improvement, and we will continue to work hard to get better each day and each game.”

The Knights will be in action this weekend as they travel to St. Catherine University for two games on Saturday, April 12 followed by a doubleheader at Augsburg College on Sunday, April 13.