Emma Purfeerst’s 18 Points Lift Women’s Basketball Over Visiting St. Catherine University

< Purfeerst ‘14 led four Knights in double figures as the Carleton College women’s basketball team completed a season sweep of St. Catherine University with a 57-51 triumph.

Carleton’s (5-12, 3-11 MIAC) victory came despite the loss of two starters to injury over the last week. The Knights shot 43 percent from the floor over the course of the contest and went an outstanding 17-of-18 from the charity stripe. Meanwhile the defense limited St. Catherine (3-14, 2-12 MIAC) to just 31 percent overall.
Point guard Jenny Ramey ‘14 and shooting guard Michele Arima ‘16 both played all 40 minutes and did not disappoint. Ramey finshed with 15 points as she also recorded four assists, four rebounds, and three steals. Arima made her first career start and contributed 10 points, five assists and pair of takeaways.

Gabbi Stienstra ‘16  had 10 points and Anna Surrey ‘17 accounted for the other four points.

“While this was a complete team win,” said Carleton head coach Cassie Kosiba, “I was extremely pleased with the leadership from our captains, Jenny Ramey and Emma Purfeerst.

“We asked the group to make some big adjustments this week and they executed them to a ‘T’ tonight. I am most proud of our defensive effort, especially in the first half. We had gotten away from our fundamentals defensively the past couple weeks, but proved tonight we can defend.”

Carleton limited the Wildcats to just 26 percent shooting in the opening period as the Knights held St. Kate’s to just 19 first-half points.

LaShay Holt did her best to bring St. Catherine back as she totaled 15 of her team’s 32 points after intermission, but a 10-point effort from Purfeerst over the final 20 minutes helped negate Holt’s strong second half.

Carleton hosts national No. 18 University of St. Thomas in the opener of a women’s/men’s doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 1. Tipoff is slated at 1 p.m.