Swimmer Eric Klontz Named to CoSIDA Academic All-District Team

<ee-time All-American swimmer Erik Klontz ‘13 was voted to the Capital One Academic All-District At-Large Team, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), for the second straight year. The award honors the nation’s top student-athletes for their combined performance in competition and in the classroom. By receiving this distinction, Klontz is now on the national ballot for the Academic All-America team.

Klontz holds a 3.83 cumulative GPA as a chemistry major with a biochemistry concentration. He is one of six student-athletes from MIAC schools and 13 total athletes to earn a spot on the team for the NCAA Division III’s District 6, encompassing schools in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

In his final campaign as a Knight, Klontz turned in some outstanding performances earning him the title of 2013 MIAC Swimmer-of-the-Year. Over the course of his career, Klontz has picked up 14 All-MIAC honors, including four conference titles. In addition to his three All-America honors, Klontz has two All-America distinctions. This season, he successfully defended his MIAC crown in the 50 free, touching the wall at 19.66, the third-fastest time in NCAA Division III history.

For the second straight year Klontz has been selected to the CoSIDA Academic All-District At-Large Team for his success in the classroom. He has also been tabbed as a CSCAA Scholar All-American the last two seasons as well Scholar All-American Honorable Mention in 2011. Klontz is also the recipient of the Warren L. Beson Memorial Award.
This is the fifth time in the last six years that a member of the men’s swimming and diving program at Carleton received the Academic All-District award.

The Capital One Academic All-District team is part of the Capital One Academic All-America program, which annually honors over 1600 student-athletes who have succeeded at the highest level on the playing field and in the classroom. Eligible sports for men’s at-large consideration include fencing, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, rifle, skiing, swimming, tennis, volleyball, water polo and wrestling.

To be eligible, a student-athlete must be a varsity starter or key reserve, maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.30 on a scale of 4.00, have reached sophomore athletic and academic standings at his current institution and be nominated by his sports information director.