Women’s Tennis Clinches Playoff Berth

<ugh wet weather had prevented the Carleton College women’s tennis team from competing for more than two weeks, the Knights showed little sign of rust as they dispatched the College of Saint Benedict by a 9-0 score. The victory clinched a spot in the MIAC Playoffs on May 3-4.

Carleton has earned a spot in the MIAC Playoffs each year since the conference switched to a six-team format in 2007.

As expected, captains Bridget Doyle ‘13 and Anne Lombardi ‘14 guided the Knights to the victory. The duo is the No. 4 doubles pairing in the central region and played like it with an 8-2 victory.
First-years Mikayla Becich ‘16 and Grace Davis ‘16 posted an identical score in winning at second doubles, with juniors Katherine Greenberg ‘14 and Molly Hemes ‘14 prevailing by an 8-1 margin.
Carleton continued its sharp play by winning all six singles matches in straight sets. Lombardi, ranked No. 22 in the region, notched the most impressive result with a 6-0 and 6-0 score. Doyle, ranked No. 21, was victorious at first singles by a 6-1, 6-1 tally.

The class of 2016 notched the other four victories with Becich, Davis, Claire Spencer and Joyce Yu no longer playing like rookies. Spencer improved to a team-best 13-3 this season, including 7-0 in MIAC play.  Yu possesses the top winning percentage on the squad and improved to 4-0 in conference matches.
The Knights had a match scheduled against Luther College this past Wednesday April, 25, but the weather led to a postponement. No makeup date has yet been announced.