Football Falls to St. John’s, 51-14

<rleton College football team (3-3, 1-3 MIAC) dropped back .500 on the season after absorbing a 51-14 loss at Saint John’s University. Senior fullback Andy Zweber scored the first Knights’ touchdown, and Chase Gottschalk ‘14 added a 29-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter.

Saint John’s (3-4, 1-4 MIAC) found the end zone on its first three possessions to build a 21-0 advantage before the conclusion of the first quarter. The Johnnies, who had lost their previous four contests—their longest slide since 1930, outgained Carleton 389-28 before halftime and possessed a 37-0 lead at the break. The hosts went on to secure their 30th consecutive victory in the series.

Zweber and backup quarterback Mike Hartwell ‘13 got the Knights on the board in the fourth quarter, accounting for 68 of the 72 yards traveled on an eight-play drive. Hartwell carried the ball three times for 47 yards on the possession and completed a pair of passes to Zweber, who later reached the end zone with a two-yard plunge. The Carleton fullback has 17 total carries this season, five of them resulting in touchdowns which ties him for seventh in the conference.

After the Knight defense forced a fourth straight three-and-out, third-string quarterback Nathan Potter ‘16 engineered another scoring drive, completing all three passes for 69 yards, the last one traveling 29 yards to Gottschalk, his third touchdown reception of the year.

The Knights won the time of possession battle and held the Johnnies to only a 2-for-11 performance on third down, but it was big plays that doomed Carleton in this one. Saint John’s had eight plays of 20-or-more yards with five of those contributing to touchdown drives.

Gottschalk finished with five receptions for 92 yards, equaling his season high. John Baker ‘14 paced the Carleton running backs with 53 yards on 16 attempts.

Mike Elder ‘13 paced the Carleton defensive in tackles for the fourth time this season. He accumulated 18 tackles, including 11 solo stops, with both figures topping all MIAC players this week. Reigning MIAC defensive player-of-the-week Paul Hoffer ‘13 contributed seven tackles and blocked a field goal.

Carleton returns home next Saturday, Oct. 20, as cross-town rival St. Olaf College visits Laird Stadium for a 1 PM contest. A live broadcast—including a high-definition video stream—will be available via Knights Online.