Green Space

<rlier this year Carleton revealed its Climate Action Plan. This plan will guide Carleton towards carbon neutrality by 2050, a goal that former college President Rob Oden set for the college when he signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) back in 2007 President Poskanzer renewed this commitment in 2010.

One of the many ways that Carleton plans to reach carbon neutrality is by reducing the amount of energy we use on campus. We are starting that process this fall by bringing in energy auditors from Xcel Energy to do energy audits on all of the campus houses. We are hoping to involve students that live in these houses in this process as “energy liaisons.” They will meet with the energy auditors before the audit so that the auditor understands more about how the house is used and can take into consideration energy efficiency concerns that residents have about where they live. The energy liaisons will also meet with the energy auditor after to learn what the auditor found and what the house residents can do in order to make their house more energy efficient. The energy liaisons will relay what they have learned to the other house residents and will spearhead the student efforts to improve energy efficiency. If you live in a campus house and are interested in becoming the energy liaison for your house, please email Nina at [email protected].

Nina Whitney ‘12 Sustainability Assistant
    Questions? Contact the STAs at sus- [email protected]