News Briefs

<ong>Curator Betty Bright to Speak on the Evolving History of Books

Betty Bright, an independent scholar and curator who helped found the Minnesota Center for Book Arts, will speak about artists’ books on Wednesday, May 25 at 4 p.m. in the Carleton  Gould Library Athenaeum. Her presentation will look at how art and social movements launched book art in the United States in the 1960s, and will then trace recent changes as this interdisciplinary art form has gained recognition and attracted new generations of practitioners.

The Gould Library’s Special Collections now holds over 450 artists’ books, so there will be ample examples to explore with Ms. Bright. This event is free and open to the public.

Chinese Music Ensemble to Present Public Performance

The Carleton College Chinese Music Ensemble, under the direction of Gao Hong, will present a free public performance in the College’s Concert Hall on Sunday, May 22 beginning at 2 p.m.

Morrissey Wins CLS Award for Language Study

James Morrissey (New York) of Carleton College has been awarded a U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) to study Chinese in China during the summer of 2011.

Morrissey, who earlier this year was named as a Goldwater Scholarhip winner, is among the approximately 575 U.S. undergraduate and graduate students who received a scholarship from the U.S. Department of State’s CLS Program to study Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla/.

Carleton Choir to Perform

The Carleton Singers, Bella Cantemus and the Men’s Chorus together in concert on Friday, May 20 beginning at 8 p.m. in the College’s Concert Hall.