Men’s golf places sixth at St. Olaf Invitational to end season

<l meet of their Carleton careers, seniors Alec Roman and Trent Wells led the Knights to a sixth place finish at the St. Olaf Invitational. Roman birdied his final hole to finish tied for second with a two-day score of 156.

The combination of howling winds and treacherous pin positions made the Summit a tough challenge both days. On the first day when only a handful of players in the field broke 80, Roman fought for an 81. Wells managed to find three birdies on the course, but a couple of bad holes brought his score to 82. Brian Gilmore ’12 and Ryan Babbush ’11 completed the Knights’ scoring with 87 and 89 respectively.

On the second day, Roman got off to a roaring start with a blemish free one-under par 35 on the front nine. He finished with a 75, which was the second best round of the day. Wells also got off to a strong start with a 37 on the front nine and finished with another 82. Gilmore improved his score by one shot in the second round to 86.
It was also the final meet collegiate meet for senior Jordan Narvey. He could only play on the second day of the event and recorded a 99.

Each of the four seniors saw their games improve during their time at Carleton. Roman averaged 80.9 his first year and then earned MIAC All-Conference his sophomore year. After studying abroad at the University of Cambridge his junior year, Roman returned to being the Knights’ top player with a 78.25 scoring average. Wells went from 87.4 his first year down to 82.5 in his senior campaign. Wells also played in every competitive round for the past four years for a total of 64 rounds. Narvey’s scoring average dropped by 3.6 strokes over his career.

The Knights have a strong incoming class of first years arriving next year and will look to continue the team’s steady improvement in the MIAC.