Women’s Tennis crushes Scots, fights hard against D-I Gophers

<ving allowed just one point in five matches against Division III opponents, the Carleton College women’s tennis team faced stiffer competition on Sunday as they traveled to Minneapolis to take on D-I University of Minnesota. Though the Knights fell 6-1, many players performed well, highlighted by Hannah Goldberg’s  6-4, 6-0 victory at sixth singles.

“The experience was amazing,” said Carleton head coach Luciano Battaglini. “It’s a great opportunity for us to have a chance to play against such a quality Division I team.”

Goldberg nearly pulled out another win at third doubles as she and Sarah Thappa fell 8-6.Thappa showed her grit at fifth singles, winning three games in her second set, while Kathryn Schmidt and Erin Gudul also managed to win games in their singles matchups. Schmidt and Gudul pulled out two games in their loss at first doubles, while Bridget Doyle and Frances Leung matched their score at second doubles.

Despite the final outcome, the match was undoubtedly a valuable experience for the Knights.

“I feel like we learned so much,” Battaglini said. “Everybody competed hard and did the best they could, and that gives us a lot of extra confidence heading into the next part of our season.”

On Saturday, the team continued its ferocious start to the MIAC season, breezing past Macalester for a 9-0 win at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville. The Knights, ranked 10th regionally and 28th nationally, did not lose a single set as they improved to 4-0 in conference play.

A pair of rookies played especially well for the Knights, as Doyle  and Courtney Halbach  each cruised to 6-0, 6-1 triumphs at second and fifth singles, respectively.

Highlighting the doubles competition was the regionally 8th-ranked duo of Doyle and Leung, who posted an 8-0 shutout at second doubles.
Schmidt, ranked 2nd in the region, continued her dominant season, blowing past Macalester’s Stephanie Lee 6-1, 6-1 at first singles, then teaming up with Gudul  for an 8-2 win at first doubles, where the pair is ranked 6th in the region. Gudul held her own at fourth singles as well, coasting to a 6-1, 6-1 victory.

Leung won at third singles 6-3, 6-2, with the three games surrendered in her first set the closest the Knights came to losing a set all day. Meanwhile, Devin Daugherty rounded out the strong individual performances, posting a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at sixth singles, while Thappa and Hannah Goldberg prevailed 8-2 at third doubles.

Before heading to Hilton Head, S.C. over spring break, the Knights will wrap up their winter season on Saturday with a 2:30 p.m. match against University of Sioux Falls at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville, Minn.