News Briefs

<ong>Lecture kicks-off campus census poster competition

Minneapolis-based artist and independent curator Maria Cristina Tavera presented “Design to Build Participation: Latino art in Minnesota” on Wednesday, Jan. 13. in the Boliou Hall Auditorium at Carleton College. Tavera’s appearance was in conjunction with the College’s current Art Gallery exhibit, “Latin American Posters: Public Aesthetics and Mass Politics,” which features numerous selections from the University of New Mexico’s Sam L. Slick Collection of Latin American and Iberian Posters. Tavera’s appearance also launched the College’s 2010 Census Poster Design Competition.

Working to build community among Latino audiences, today’s artists and designers in Minnesota keep graphic traditions alive by reaching back to Jose Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913) and other Cuban, Puerto Rican, Chicano designers, active from the 1950s to the present, and featured in the College’s Latin American posters exhibition. Graphics by Minnesota designers, including Ricardo Levins Morales and Luis Fitch of UNO Hispanic Branding, publicize events, cater to niche markets, and mobilize political action. Tavera discussed the persistence of the poster as a form of communication within the Latino community, and demonstrate how bold graphic images promote customs of participation and community.

Carleton students are invited to design a poster in English, Spanish or Somali, to encourage census participation in Rice County, targeting immigrants and other traditionally under-counted groups. Participants are encouraged to draw design inspiration from the powerfully persuasive compositions currently on display in the College’s art gallery. Poster designs will be judged in late February by Tavera and by members of the campus community and visitors. Winning designs will be produced and disseminated around Rice County in March of 2010, when official census forms are to be distributed.

For more information on the census poster competition, visit apps.carleton.edu/campus/gallery/calendar. The competition is co-sponsored by ACE (Academic Civic Engagement) and Viz (Visualizing the Liberal Arts), an initiative funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

“Latin American Posters: Public Aesthetics and Mass Politics” will be on display through March 11, 2010. The gallery is open Monday through Wednesday, noon to 6 p.m.; Thursday and Friday, noon to 10 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.