News Briefs

<ong>Celebrated violinist Rolf Haas to present concert

Celebrated violinist Rolf Haas will perform in recital on Sunday, February 1 at 3 p.m. in the Carleton College Concert Hall. His performance is free and open to the public.

Haas made his solo debut at age 14 with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Dr. Lynn Harrell. He is the recipient of numerous awards, winning the Schubert Club Junior and College competitions and the Minnesota State Solo competitions. Haas is also a three-time winner of the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies Concerto competition, and was the national finalist for the MTNA (Music Teachers National Association) String competition both in Washington D.C. and Kansas City. He has participated in programs at Meadowmount, Indiana University, Bowdoin Summer Music Festival, Bravo Music Summer String Institute, and the International Music Academy in the Czech Republic.

Lefler Lecture to highlight oral history of Native Americans in New England

Jean O’Brien-Kehoe, associate professor of history and American studies at the University of Minnesota, will present the 2009 Carleton College Herbert P. Lefler Lecture, sponsored by the Department of History. Entitled “There Once Was an Indian Village Here: New England Local Histories as Replacement Narratives,” the presentation will take place Tuesday, Feb. 3 at 5 p.m. in Leighton Hall, room 305, on the Carleton campus and is free and open to the public.

An enrolled member of the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe, O’Brien-Kehoe specializes in colonial history and the Native Americans of the Northeast. Her research focuses on the vanishing Indian in New England, Indians of the Northeast (17th and 18th centuries), enthnohistory, U.S. colonial history, and issues of race, class, and gender analysis as it pertains to history. She is the author of the books “Dispossession by Degrees: Indian Land and Identity in Natick, Massachusetts, 1650-1790” and “Divorced from the Land: Accommodations Strategies of Indian Women in 18th Century New England,” as well as a number of articles.