News Briefs

<ong>Kling to speak at Carleton as part of community book club

Popular American playwright and storyteller Kevin Kling, best known for his commentaries on National Public Radio’s All Things Considered and his storytelling stage shows like “Tales from the Charred Underbelly of the Yule Log,” will discuss his new book, “The Dog Says How,” on Wednesday, November 7 at 7 p.m. in Carleton’s Severance Great Hall. Kling’s presentation is a part of the Northfield Reads! community-wide book club. “The Dog Says How” is Kling’s first book. The collection of autobiographical short stories, the book is a reflection of one person’s journey through life.

“The Dog Says How” is the latest addition to Kling’s prolific body of work. His stories and plays have been performed across the country in venues such as the Guthrie Theater, New York’s Second Stage, Chicago’s Goodman Theater, Seattle’s Repertory Theater,and at both the HBO Comedy Arts and Spoleto Festivals.

Kling lives in Minneapolis. Kling’s appearance is one of three author events organized by the Northfield Reads! community-wide book group, which functions as a collaborative effort of the Carleton Bookstore, the St. Olaf Bookstore,River City Books, Monkey See Monkey Read, and the Northfield Public Library.

Aside from speaking about his work and answering readers’ questions,Kling will read from and sign copies of “The Dog Says How,” which will also be available for purchase at the event.

“The Dog Says How” is currently being offered at a 20% discount at all participating Northfield Reads! locations.

Courtesy of Media Relations

Carleton Democrats host visit of Congressional candidate

On November 7, 2007 at 8:00 PM, the Carleton College Democrats will host congressional candidate Steve Sarvi in Sayles-Hill, Room 251. Sarvi will talk about his campaign and answer questions from the audience. All interested students and members of the general public are invited to attend.

Democrat Steve Sarvi is running in the 2nd Congressional District of Minnesota for the U.S. House of Representatives. He is an Iraq veteran. Previous to deciding to run for Congress, Sarvi was city administrator in the towns of Lanesboro, Watertown, and Victoria, Minn. He also served as a three-term Mayor in Watertown.

The Carleton College Democrats’ mission is to encourage involvement and activity not only on the part of other Carleton students, but also in the community at large.

Courtesy of Media Relations

Teresa Oden publishes a book

Teresa Johnston Oden, the wife of Carleton College president Robert A. Oden Jr., has published Spousework: Partners Supporting Academic Leaders. A newly appointed college president typically brings a wealth of insight and expertise to the role. That is not always true for his or her partner. Teresa Oden says that during her first years in the role of “the spouse,” she was as green as they come.

During her first year as an academic leader’s spouse Oden found a surprise around almost every corner. “It all added up to something like culture shock,” she says. That’s when she started thinking that someone should write a book about the partner’s experience.

Drawing on 18 years of personal history and hours of discussion with other spouses, both male and female, Oden wrote Spousework: Partners Supporting Academic Leaders. Spousework is built upon the premise that all partners want to be supportive. “I hope to knock away some of the hurdles that can slow us up as we figure out how to both support, and negotiate with, our mates’ non-stop careers.” Spousework will open people’s eyes, Oden says. With her husband’s full support she hopes, in true Carleton fashion, “to shake things up a little.”

Courtesy of Media Relations