News Briefs

<ong>Acclaimed Photographer to Give Lecture

On Tues., Oct. 30, Minneapolis photographer Angela Strassheim will present a talk about her work on the project “Vantage Points II: Picturing Carleton Students,” which is currently on display at the Carleton College Art Gallery. Strassheim, who received an MFA and was previously a forensic photographer, recently had her work featured at the 2006 Whitney Museum Biennial in New York City. The lecture, which is open to the public, will take place at noon in Boliou Hall, room 104.

P Diddy Inks Promotional Deal

Rapper and entrepreneur P Diddy, also known as Shawn Combs, inked a deal with the British tasty beverage company Diageo on Thurs., Oct. 26 to endorse their Ciroc line of vodka. Through the deal, in which he will publicize the product in the United States, Diddy could net around $100 million. Ciroc is unique in that it is made from French grapes as opposed to most vodka that is made from potatoes or corn. For Diddy, who has a $28 million yearly income, a paltry third on Forbes.com’s list of “Hip-Hope Cash Kings,” this opportunity offers him a chance to catch up to Jay-Z and 50 Cent, who have deals with fellow tasty beverage maker Anheuser-Busch and VitaminWater respectively.

Boston Wins, America Wins

With the World Series, many baseball fans are wondering whether the Boston Red Sox or the Colorado Rockies will be the victor. But potentially, the most intriguing storyline coming out of Boston is the Taco Bell free taco promotion. As part of its “Steal a Base, Steal a Taco” promotion, Taco Bell offered a free taco with the first stolen base of the World Series. Jacoby Ellsbury answered the prayers of millions of Americans with a stolen base in Thursday night’s game, and throughout the United States, anyone can retrieve a free taco between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 30. In other news, the Red Sox beat the Rockies 2-1 to go up 2-0 in the series.

Spears Back in Court, Again

Britney Spears won’t have to go to court now for hit-and-run charges after paying off the victim car’s driver. She still will have to have a trial heard for her other charge of driving without a license. Spears, who is currently going through a custody battle and was recently caught by the paparazzi after attempting to act as a driver’s education instructor for children, had her hit-and-run trial dismissed by Superior Court Commissioner Susan Speer after Spears’ lawyer told the judge that Spears had settled with the other driver. However, unable to pay off the police for her other charge, a pretrial hearing is scheduled for driving without a license, in which she pled not guilty on Thursday, for Nov. 26.