Knights men’s soccer hold steady in national rankings

<r the second straight week, the Carleton men’s soccer team finds itself at No. 20 in the NSCAA/addidas® national rankings. This is the first season in which the Knights have been nationally ranked.

The Knights were a perfect 3-0 last week, with each victory marking a substantial milestone in the program’s history.

With Carleton’s 7-0 victory over St. Mary’s University on Oct. 10, head coach Bob Carlson notched his 100th career victory. His current record of 102-75-17 includes the most wins of any coach in Carleton soccer history.

Then on Saturday night, the Knights secured their first MIAC Playoff berth with a 2-0 triumph at Augsburg College.Bobby Phillips ’09 scored from Joe Lindner ’09 in the 34th minute, and Brett Adelman ’10 scored from Phillips in the 74th minute for the Knights.

The Knights’ first goal came as a long Lindner pass deflected off a defender and found Phillips in front of the net. In the second half, Phillips served a long pass to a streaking Adelman, who put the shot across the box to the lower left corner of the net.

Finally with Monday night’s triumph, the men’s soccer team established a new school record with its 12th victory of the season. The Knights edged Luther College, 2-0, under the lights in Decorah, Iowa.

Brian TenHoor ’09 found the back of the net with an unassisted goal at 22:33. Nate Amous ’08 added an insurance tally shortly before halftime. He was assisted on the goal by Brett Adelman ’10. It was Amous’ third goal over the last three games. Goalie Pete Semmer ’11 has not allowed a goal over his last 375:06 in net. The last goal against him was scored by Gustavus Adolphus on Sept. 29.

The Knights’ defense has not allowed more than one goal in any match this season and possesses a 0.58 goals against average.

Additionally, Carleton is still ranked No. 3 in the west region. Loras College (15-0-1) maintained its hold on the top spot in the region, right ahead of the University of Puget Sound (11-1-1).

The Knights, currently atop the MIAC standings, are 19-1-2 over their last 22 contests and own a 13-game unbeaten streak. Carleton is 16-1-4 on its home turf since Oct. 2, 2005.

The Knights will next be in action on Saturday, Oct. 20 versus Hamline University (7-5, 4-4 MIAC)on Bell Field. That match can be heard live here on Knights Online at 1 p.m.