Campus Community Remembers Noel Williams

<ir="ltr" id="docs-internal-guid-4c0a21ad-e8d9-c978-d2f0-c2c8c8c5666f">Noel Williams, 58, died unexpectedly in a yard work accident Monday, Oct. 10.

Mr. Williams worked on the Carleton Security staff since 1989, and is survived by a wife, two children and one grandson. Many staff members, faculty and alumni offered support and condolences to the security staff over the past week. A page was started online where Carleton community members shared memories of Mr. Williams’ impact on their lives.

Mr. Williams began at Carleton as the Security Shift Supervisor, and then became the Security Supervisor. Several members of the security staff called him the glue that held the department together.

“He knew his job and was great at it,” wrote Security Shift Supervisor Sharon Becker on a personal blog. “You knew when he was on duty everything would be alright.”

When there was a special event on campus, Security Director Wayne Eisenhuth would check the work schedule to see if Mr. Williams would be working. If he was working, Eisenhuth felt relieved. If he wasn’t scheduled, he knew Mr. Williams would offer to work anyway.

“I’ve got a great staff, but he is the one that really made it great,” said Eisenhuth.

Mr. Williams enjoyed working for Security, and he thought highly of Carleton students and staff. According to Eisenhuth, Mr. Williams was a meticulous worker that took care of his equipment and the college’s equipment. He thought Carleton was a great place to work.

“He had a way with people that you just can’t teach,” said Eisenhuth. “He was top-flight. He had a knack for knowing what to do and knowing what to say.”

Members of the Carleton community remembered Mr. Williams’ excellent sense of humor.

“He was always quick to make a joke when you didn’t expect it and he always had a smile on his face,” wrote Steve Romenesko, an Area Director.

The security staff recalled Mr. Williams’ fishing and hunting stories, which often would take an hour to tell.

“It could have been, ‘I caught a 10-inch crappie’ or something,” said Eisenhuth. “He was a great storyteller.”

Former students shared memories of Mr. Williams as an excellent storyteller, and as a model for how to treat others with respect. Security used to employ student workers, and students would often stop by the office to see Mr. Williams. According to Eisenhuth, students thought of him like a surrogate father.

“Some of my best memories of my time as a student at Carleton came from working with Noel,” wrote alumnus Matt Urch on the Carleton webpage for remembrances.

“I learned a lot from him about the value of treating people with respect, even if they were being difficult.”

Per Mr. Williams’ wishes, there will not be services held on campus. Memories of Mr. Williams can be sent to Wayne Eisenhuth, who will pass them along to Mr. William’s family.