Knight’s Time for Carleton Soccer

What time is it? Knight-time! This chant echoes across Bell Field on the Carleton campus any time the men’s or women’s team takes the field. Indeed, both men and women’s programs do believe this is truly their season to win it all.

Head Varsity Women’s Soccer coach Jocelyn Keller said, “We had a terrific 2014 season and the goal is always to pick up where we left off, improving and growing as we go.” The CWS program did have a stellar 2014 season, finishing 3rd overall in the conference, resulting in a trip to the conference playoffs, where they fell in the semi-finals to Concordia in penalty kicks.

However this year, the team is looking to move past that devastating loss and focus on the bright future ahead. Junior caption Ava Lewis believes the team, “needs to make the final mental switch to knowing we are the better team every time we step on the field.”

But the team does not quite feel their record relects that. Over halfway through their season, they hold a 3-4-1 record with 9 games left to play. The Knights know that if anytime is Knight-time, it has to be now. And hope is on the horizon. Senior captain Maddy Horn says that lately, “The effort has been impressive. Practices are competitive and intense, people seem very dedicated to raising the level of play.” This is indeed a good sign for the women’s team who have their sights set on more than just a conference playoff this year.

Like the women, the men too have their eyes on a championship. Senior caption Branden McGarrity said, “our most important team goal this year is to win the MIAC regular season.” So far the men’s team is 0-1-1 in conference. They have many important conference battles still to come. Though this might not be quite the start the men were looking for, they feel very confident about the games in the future. McGarrity believes that “we have seen in practice and games that we have a very talented team with a lot of potential.”

The team’s roster holds 33 players, a large amount, especially compared to the women’s team, which holds 20. McGarrity trusts that, “our freshmen have been a great addition to the team, and will be a pivotal part of our success this season.” The men are looking to advance deeper into the postseason than they did in 2014, which ended in a semifinal postseason conference championship loss to Gustavus Adolphus. Head coach of the men’s team, Bob Carlson knows that “it’s a very busy time right now” for the program as they look to post some strong wins in conference and continue to play at a high level.