The New Publication Spicing Up Carleton’s Music Scene

<rleton’s newest music publication, in the result of a collaboration between KRLX genius Ian Mercer (2016) and Mary Begley (2014), the former booking manager for the Cave, in the Spring of 2014. When asked about his motivations for starting a college publication, Ian said frankly, “Because there’s kind of a void in the Carleton music culture. There’s the Cave and there’s KRLX, but the KRLX website is kind of weak
and the Cave doesn’t have a publication.”

The name “NO FIDELITY”, he explains, comes from Ian and
Mary tossing names around and coming up with the pun on high fidelity records. And the reception has been good, if a bit lowkey. “A lot of people don’t really know it exists, which is alright, we’re not trying to be on everybody’s desk Friday night, but the people who do read it really like it,” Ian says. And it’s obvious from the thickness of the publication that they’re not short on submissions. Each issue is 40 pages long and filled from margin to margin.

Ian notes however, that they have not yet created an entirely flawless publication. “I guess our weakness is some formatting. Some of our pages look like Microsoft Paint in fifth grade sometimes, but, you know, we’re working on it, and we’ve got a lot of freshman who are going to help us out, which should be good.”

In a campus known for its tolerance and multiculturalism, Ian and his fellow NO FIDELITY editors are hoping to address some campus stagnation in the area of music. “There’s a lot of fear of the unknown- everyone always wants to hear what they’ve already heard before, and it’s a paradox because you’ve got to hear things for the first time sometimes.”

To get you started on your musical exploration, Ian recommends the album “Tesseract” by Warehouse, an album so cool and adventurous that it is not currently available on iTunes. To
learn more about NO FIDELITY or get involved, email merceri or check out their next edition!