Softball Sweeps Cobbers, Davis Picks Up Two Victories

<vis ‘16 got the starting nod in both ends of the Carleton College softball team’s doubleheader against Concordia College, and she did not disappoint the home crowd. Davis picked up her sixth and seventh victories of the year in tossing a combined 11.0 scoreless frames, including a complete-game, one-hit shutout in the opening half of the twin bill as the Knights posted 3-0 and 9-1 victories.

Carleton (9-22, 7-9 MIAC) jumped on the Cobbers early in game one, plating one run in the bottom of the first when Michaela LaRose ‘15 singled home senior Katrina Harper.

The bats for both clubs remained silent until the bottom of the fourth, when Kaitlyn Bagley ‘14 pushed an RBI groundout to first base, scoring Davis to give the Knights a 2-0 advantage. Carleton also tacked on another insurance run in the sixth thanks to a Cobber error.

Those extra tallies turned out to be unnecessary insurance thanks to Davis’ expertise in the circle. Davis leads the MIAC in strikeouts with 111, a figure helped by sending down eight Cobbers on strikes over the course of game one.

The second side of the doubleheader, much like the first, saw some excellent pitching from Davis. She quieted the Concordia bats once again, yielding only two singles over 4.0 shutout frames. The Knights asked Maddie Freyberg ‘17 to pitch the fifth and final frame in the Knights’ 9-1 victory.

Offensively, Carleton’s bats woke up early against the Cobbers’ game two starter, JoAnna Carlson. After MIAC stolen base leader Jenny Ramey ‘14 led off the inning with a single and a swipe of second, Davis reached by way of an error. LaRose then came through again for the Knights with a two-run double down the right field line. Carleton tacked on two more runs in the opening frame with RBI from Holly Buttrey ‘14 and Maddie Emenheiser ‘17.

The bottom of the third saw the home club strike for four more tallies on four hits and an error, and suddenly the Knights held a very comfortable 8-0 lead. Buttrey, who was 3-for-3 in the game, tacked on the team’s final tally in the bottom of the fourth, scoring on a wild pitch, and the Cobbers notched their lone run of the doubleheader in the top of the fifth with an unearned tally against Freyberg.