Carleton Rings in Year of the Horse

<lings, keynote speeches, and Spring Festival Gala screenings, oh my! Over this past weekend, Carleton students celebrated Lunar New Year with an array of events.
Starting on New Years Eve, or what is called “Nian San Shi,” LDC hosted a banquet of delicious, traditional Chinese foods for the students to devour. The longest line was seen at “Chopsticks and Woks,” where the dumplings served and different posters detailed Carleton Chinese students’ own favorite Lunar New Year traditions. “My family would put coins or nuts inside our dumplings randomly while making them, and whoever ate the one that contained these things will have great fortune in the coming year!” said Vicky Wu ‘14.

The celebration continued Friday, with ASIA club hosting the annual Lunar New Year dinner in the Great Hall with Chinese food, performances, a keynote speech, and good company. The students gathered to watch the talents of Jay Shen, a junior who performed a popular Chinese pop song that has been individually tweaked, Thomas Hiura, a self-made rapper, and a traditional dance group on campus.“It was great singing a Chinese song that talks about how proud I am for being Chinese descent,” said Jay Shen.

All in all, Carleton’s Lunar New Year celebration was exceptionally successfully. It not only helped Chinese students cope with homesickness, but also allowed other students to experience a weekend of events that bridged the gap between the cultures.