Women’s Swimming and Diving Beats Pipers

<rleton College women’s swimming and diving team entered the final stage of the “training” portion of the schedule with a dual meet Friday against visiting Hamline University. The Knights, who will soon begin the taper process for the conference meet, cruised to a 119-17 victory after posting the top result in every event.

The victory was aided by Hamline’s lack of depth in several events, providing the Knights an opportunity to shuffle the lineup a bit.

“Ultimately, Hamline helped bring out some great performances from our students,” said Coach Andy Clark, “Overall, I was very pleased with how everyone swam.”
Maria Wetzel ‘17 got the night off to a strong start for the team with a victory in the 200 freestyle, one of the first competitive races of the night. She pulled into the wall in 2:03, nearly six seconds ahead of second-place finisher and teammate Masha Toulokhonova ‘17.

In the next race with visitors in the pool, the 50 free, Alexandra Guy ‘15 and Alex Braiedy ‘17 combined to go one-two with times of 25.81 and 26.57, respectively.
Wetzel and Braiedy claimed the top two spots in the 500 freestyle, registering times of 5:22.14 and 5:34.02. In every other race, the Knights swam unopposed, permitting them to cruise to a relatively easy victory, 119 to 17.

Madison McBride ‘16 was awarded Carleton’s “Can of Corn” as the squad’s swimmer-of-the-meet for her strong finish in the 100 freestyle, which she completed in 56.37.

The Knights swim again next Saturday, Jan. 25, when host cross-town rival St. Olaf College for a Senior Day showdown. Swimming begins at 11:00 a.m. from Thorpe Pool.
Be sure to go out to the pool to support all the members of the Swimming and Diving team for the big Senior Day event.