Men’s Soccer Shuts-Out Hamline on Senior Day, McGarrity Grabs Player-of-the-Week Honors

<nly be a sophomore, but Branden McGarrity got caught up in the Senior Day festivities at Bell Field and scored a pair of goals as the Carleton College men’s soccer team notched a 2-0 triumph over the Hamline University Pipers.

McGarrity capitalized on help from his senior teammates, scoring goals assisted by Ben Walsh ‘14 and Will Corcoran  ‘14 en route to the Knights’ fourth straight win with the team going 8-0-1 over the last month.

Carleton (11-1-3, 5-1-1 MIAC) struck in the fifth minute, when McGarrity was sprung through the backline on a well-placed pass from Walsh. McGarrity took it inside the 18 and finished past the keeper into the center of the net to give the Knights the advantage.

McGarrity converted again in the 31st minute. In transition, Corcoran perfectly placed a ball for McGarrity inside the 18. McGarrity took two dribbles and curled the ball into the upper left hand corner to put the Knights out in front, 2-0.

Hamline (3-9-1, 0-6-1 MIAC) struggled to control the ball and move forward against the Knights’ defense, as the Pipers were outshot 19-3 over the course of the match and did not register a shot on goal.

Carleton goalkeeper James Neher ‘14 had a rather uneventful day as his back line kept him from being forced to make a single save and yet completed his 15th career shutout.

Today also marked the final regular season home game for seniors Walsh, Corcoran, Neher, Simon Ginet, Michael Hovick, and Joey Pedtke.

“Those guys made this program great, and they kept it great,” said Carleton head coach Bob Carlson. “They have worked exceptionally hard for four years. They’ve done some great things on the field, but more importantly they are great guys and great people.”

So far during the seniors time with the program, the Knights have gone 51-16-8 (.733), made three trips to the postseason, captured two MIAC regular-season crowns, and earned a trip to the NCAA Championships.

Carleton will spend the remainder of their regular season on the road, starting with the long trip to take on Concordia-Moorhead on Saturday, Oct. 26.

With the schedule moving away from Bell Field and the competition getting tougher and tougher, it’s good that some of the Knights are rounding into top form at this stage in the season.

One of those players performing at a high level is MIAC player-of-the-week and Knights leading goal scorer Branden McGarrity. Carleton’s forward was honored with the award after scoring in both the Knights’ victories this past week

McGarrity tallied what ended up being the game winning goal at home against Macalester on a perfectly placed header, and also notched the two goals against Hamline mentioned earlier in the article.

The sophomore’s recent goal-scoring surge gives him nine already this season to add to his total of 19 from his rookie campaign in 2012.

Along with McGarrity, the Knights will also continue to lean on their staunch defense during their big three-game road trip, which will also feature games at St. Thomas and at St. Olaf. Led by All-American Neil Bartholomay ‘14, Carleton has allowed just five goals over its nine game unbeaten stretch.