Women’s Soccer Suffers Senior Day Heartbreak in Overtime Loss

<iley Ulbricht’s ‘15 85th-minute goal from an almost impossible angle was enough to lift the Knights to a 1-1 tie, but not enough to carry the day as the Carleton College women’s soccer team suffered an overtime loss to visiting Hamline University, 2-1, on Senior Day.

The day marked Carleton’s (7-4-3, 3-3-2 MIAC) last regular-season home game for the six seniors: Lesley Baseman, Sarah Hagerty, Marlena Hartman-Filson, Karlie Haug, Claire McGillem, and Megan Morrison.

During their four years as Knights, the class of 2013 has won a pair of MIAC regular-season championships, advanced to the conference tournament three times (winning the MIAC Playoffs in 2009) and appeared in two NCAA Championships.

In honor of the seniors, a small ceremony was held beforehand, in which Midfielder Kaitlyn Gerber ‘14 also sang the national anthem.

After a scoreless first half, Hamline (10-3-1, 4-3-1 MIAC) broke through in the 73rd minute when Brienne Garside outran Carleton’s defensive wall to earn herself a one-on-one, slotting it into the left side of the net to give the Pipers the lead.

Carleton’s next shot proved to be a great one. Less than twelve minutes after Hamline scored their first tally, Ulbricht managed to run down a long cross down in the left corner. From there, she sent a long shot along the end line.

As the ball curved in the air, it sailed over the outstretched fingers of Hamline goalkeeper Molly Jacobs, and into the right side of the net to tie the game at one goal apiece.

The Knights managed to defend three Hamline corner kicks over the closing minutes of regulation, and the Carleton headed to overtime for the fifth time in their last eight games.

In the extra period, Hamline was able to press forward. In the 92nd minute, Kelsey Caracciolo ran onto a loose ball inside the six-yard box, tapped the ball away from Carleton keeper Mikayla Coulombe ‘16 before blasting it into the net to seal the game.

The loss snaps the Knights’ six-match unbeaten streak, during which they had given up just three goals.

The road to another post-season berth got a bit tougher for the Knights who are now tied for seventh with three matches remaining. Adding to the challenge is the fact that Carleton will have to travel to Bethel, St. Thomas, and St. Olaf—all teams still in the playoff picture. The first of those contests comes next Saturday, Oct. 20 at Bethel.