Track teams christen new outdoor surface

<ird Stadium had not seen a track meet or an alumnus in two years before last Thursday. Preston Carlisle ‘15 didn’t think much of the occasion, since he wasn’t here to see the old track bubble to the surface of the then-widened Canon flowing over it. “Oh yeah, I guess this is new,” Carlisle said of the clay-red synthetic surface, “It’s all right.” He then went on to give the new track a baptism by fire, smashing twelve seconds in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.96 seconds.

Preston, who spends his time off the track starring as one of the hosts for the hit radio show “Doin It for the Kids,” then went on to another impressive performance in the 200 meters, finishing in 24.55 seconds. That put him just .17 seconds behind teammate Ian “Daddy” Reeves ‘15.

Their combined distance of 400 meters (that’s one lap around the new track) was the challenge of choice for Carlisle’s fellow host Jordan Butler ‘13. Butler finished ninth in the event posting a time of 52.95 seconds. This means he averaged 16.9 miles per hour the entire way around.

The third and final co-host of the show everyone’s been talking about, “Doin it for the Kids,” “Miami” Mike Austin ‘13 also completed one lap in his race. The difference was that Austin also jumped over several obstacles in the 400-meter hurdles.

All eyewitness accounts reported that Austin won his heat by “probably a mile,” but the officials saw things otherwise. Results stated Austin was disqualified from the event. Mike explained the devastating ruling to concerned fans in the stands, “I knocked down three hurdles intentionally and that’s a nay-nay.” Indeed, even in the sport of athletics, there are some rules.

The Knights head all over the map this weekend for competitions. Many of the men head to St. Thomas tonight to compete in the Tommie Twilight Open. The strong and good-looking throwers head south to St. Peter to compete with Gustavus Adolphus on Saturday, while still other runners will cross the Mississippi to River Falls, Wisconsin. “Doin it for the Kids” airs Wednesdays at midnight (i.e. Thursday morning).