Softball rallies for split against St. Ben’s

< splitting doubleheaders against St. Catherine’s University last Thursday and Augsburg College last Friday, the Knights again split two games this Wednesday, dropping the first but winning their second game against the College of St. Benedict Blazers.

The Knights came out slow in the first game, trailing 3-0 as they headed into the bottom of the sixth inning. Still, the Knights rallied to come back from the deficit, as Micaela LaRose ‘15 singled Chelsea Yost ‘15 home, and Dana Mackey ’12 managed to race around the bases off of an error by the Blazers. 

Unfortunately, although Maddie Ulanow ’15 managed to make it to third base in the seventh inning, she was not batted in, and the Knights dropped the game, 3-2.  LaRose also struck out six throughout the game, allowing only nine hits and three runs.

Fortunately, the Knights did not let the loss slow them down, and came out fired up for the second half.  Jenny Ramey ’14 opened the game with a double, and Harper laid down a single immediately after. Following a successful bunt from Yost, Ramey scored, giving the Knights an early 1-0 lead.

The Blazers were the next to score, tallying a pair of runs in the third inning. Still, the Knights persevered, and in the seventh inning Mackey manages to get herself on base.
After Harper’s second hit of the day put her on base as well, Mackey managed to make it home when the Blazers’ midfielder made a bad throw, tying the game, 2-2. Not long after, the Blazers scored in the top of the eighth, taking a one run lead once again.
Brooke McManigal ’14 opened the bottom of the eighth with a single, before Lindsay Szper ’15 slammed a double into the center, bringing McManigal home. After Ramey was intentionally walked, Harper managed a grounder to right field, bringing Szper home for the win, 4-3.

Jenny Forster ’14 and Kaitlin Bagley ’14 split pitching duties for the win. It was the fourth time this season that the Knights have rallied during a doubleheader to win the second game after losing the first.

In last Friday’s game against Augsburg, the Knights split the set but won the first game, 2-1. This game was also the first game ever played on the all-new Knights Field. It was an especially good game for Yost, who was the winning pitcher (five innings, one run, two hits) and scored the winning run to secure the first victory at the new field.

The Knights will host St. Mary’s University for two more games this Saturday, April 14, at 1:00 p.m.