Men wrap up Championships with all-conference performances

<rleton College men’s swimming and diving team wrapped up the three days of competition at the MIAC Championships with a fifth-place showing in the team competition. The final day included all-conference individual performances by Erik Klontz ‘13 and Benito Ramirez ‘14 as well as an All-MIAC performance in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Klontz was second in the 100-yard freestyle, earning All-MIAC honors for the second time this year. He touched the wall at 45.18, a NCAA ‘B’ cut time but 0.03 seconds behind winner Michael Gratz of St. Olaf. Ramirez placed third in the 200-yard butterfly as his time of 1:55.33 ranked third overall.

Carleton closed the meet with all-conference honors in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Mamoru Kanazawa ‘13, Ramirez, Ross Brown ‘14, and Klontz placed third overall with a time of 3:07.23.

By winning the final relay, the University of St. Thomas accumulated enough points to surpass St. Olaf College for the team total 765-762. Gustavus Adolphus College was third with 570 points, followed by Saint John’s University (456) and Carleton (426).
The Knights’ other point scorers on day three include Jaymes Awbrey ‘13, who finished 14th in the 1,650-yard freestyle, with a time of 17:34.51.

Tom Holmes ‘13 was eighth in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:57.90. Christian Edwards ‘14 and Michael Goodgame ‘15 were 11th and 15th overall in the same event.

In addition to Klontz’s performance in the 100 freestyle, Kanazawa was 10th at 47.06.

Djem Kissiov ‘12 and Jesse Gourevitch ‘14 palced 11th and 12th respectively in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Andy Hardt ‘13, Will Sparks ‘15, Casey Andree ‘12, and Evan Harris ‘15 all competed in the consolation finals, placing 10th, 12th, 14th and 15th, respectively.

Leo Hummel ‘12 and Chris Frills ‘13 both advanced to the finals of the 3-meter diving competition. They placed seventh and eighth, respectively.