Men’s Track and Field hopes to shed injury bug

<le ‘13 has nightmares about two letters: IT. Not only did he have computer problems freshmen year, but this Winter Term his IT Band has kept him off of the track.

Dale was a key part of the team last year when he competed in the long jump, triple jump and sprints. He’s been working hard on the road to recovery since his injury happened in January. CJ isn’t alone doing IT Band PT exercises, because he passed it on to another member of the team.

Josh Campbell ‘13 a native of Sauk City, WI (home of the orignial Culver’s) also has an aggravated IT Band, but his issue is on the opposite side. Josh rides the bike in the Rec Center weight room, so look out for him there watching “Say Yes to the Dress.”

The class of 2013 holds more than its fair share of spots on the injured list, where you’ll also find Woosik Kong and Brian Spisiak. Spisiak is working through problems in his right knee caused by the tight turns on the indoor track. Kong has a tender hamstring that he’s been nursing back to health after injuring it in the first meet at St. Olaf.

Woosik hails from South Korea which makes him the farthest east representative of the track team. This caused some difficulty when the men’s team arranged themselves geographically and Woosik had to sit on the other side of the track. Thanks to diligent recovery work Woosik should be back on the track in the next couple of weeks.

Ben Levy ‘15 recently tried to run a race without his trademark hamstrings.

Sickness takes a toll on the team in addition to injury. Bill Grimm ‘15 has suffered from severe bronchitis both of the last two winters. Luckily, 2012 is a different year, Grimm has managed to stick it to inflammation of the lungs and is on the track to recovery after a brief bout of sickness to start the term. He’s been working out with the team and should be competing in a matter of weeks.

Grimm’s healthy streak has rubbed off on Famous Johnson ‘12 who finished a great workout today after missing two weeks to a severe head cold. Look out for Johnson next weekend as he’s coming off a red-hot cross country season where he ran a career PR in the 8k.

The most up-to-the-minute story in the training room at the Rec is Michael Tolan ‘14. The sophomore from St. Louis, MO, best known for being the star DJ of Rawk O’Clawk (Tuesdays 12:00-1:30pm) will be hitting the track this Saturday in Grinnell, IA.

The Knights are traveling down for a meet on the brand new track at Grinnell College where DIII Nationals will be run in four weeks. Tolan will compete in the mile, after four weeks working on his  achilles tendon. Michael got the green light from coach Dave Ricks today and will be racing his way to victory on Saturday, hopefully avoiding any poison arrows.