Truly independent student radio: KRLX rejects Clear Channel offer

<nd has always been, one of the largest and most public student organizations on campus. Since its inception sixty-four years ago, the independence of Carleton’s student radio has never been challenged. That is, until now.

Over this past winter break, Clear Channel Communications, Inc. asked KRLX to join their iHeartRadio Internet streaming service. In exchange for exclusive Internet streaming rights, KRLX would receive free equipment for Internet streaming equal in caliber to Clear Channel’s other stations. By doing so, our listenership would have theoretically expanded nationwide and benefited additionally with improvements to our sound quality. While being included with other professional radio stations on this service may seem like a desirable and logical path for KRLX, we ultimately declined their offer. Free equipment brings certain undeniable benefits. However, it is both financially unnecessary and directly opposed to KRLX’s history and character to relinquish our autonomy.

With the support of the Board of Directors and all of its DJs, KRLX will continue to provide Carleton College and the Northfield community with 100% student-run, student-financed and student-produced radio. KRLX is truly ours to make of it what we want. We, Carleton students, have been its driving force since its birth, and will continue to be its source of strength for many years to come. This is a legacy that has been handed down to us by every student DJ that has stepped foot in our booth, and one we are charged with upholding for future generations of Carleton DJs.

In that spirit, we will make the Clear Channel improvements ourselves. We will make our sound quality better. We will increase our level of professionalism. And we will do it with our own resources—the very same that have sustained free expression of opinion and music at Carleton for sixty-four years — not those of a corporation that has no commitment to Carleton.

We urge every member of the KRLX community to make this station better. No one else will, or should, do that for us. During every hour of programming, each DJ should be mindful of what we represent and why that is important. We are extremely privileged to have the opportunities afforded to us by having a viable and independent radio station on this campus. As a Board of Directors, our goal is to bring out KRLX’s full potential, not limited to only expanding our listener base. If you would like to have a hand in defining that mission, Board elections are taking place at the end of this term. Apply for a position, and help strengthen the future of independent student radio at Carleton.

— Submitted by the KRLX Board of Directors