Swimming teams focus on positives after defeats: Women take first in six events, finish strong

<rleton College women’s swimming and diving team concluded its dual meet against the College of Saint Benedict with a victory in the 400-yard freestyle relay, a fitting end to a day when all four Knights in the winning quartet had proven victorious in individual events as well.

Milana Socha (So./Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) and Maggie Alexander (Sr./Tigard, Ore./Tualatin) posted identical winning times of 2:01.61 in the 200-yard freestyle. Alexander won the 200-yard backstroke in 2:14.49, and Sophie Pilhofer (Jr./Inver Grove Heights, Minn./Visitation) bested Socha to win the 50-yard freestyle, 25.10 to 25.36.

After winning the 100-yard freestyle in 55.20, Erin McDuffie (Jr./Anchorage, Alaska/Service) anchored the relay and helped the Knights post a come-from-behind victory. She posted the top splits in the event as Carleton won in 3:44.15. For outstanding efforts in her races, especially the 100 freestyle and 400 free relay, McDuffie earned the “Can of Corn” honoring the Knights Swimmer of the Meet.

“Being that this was our first home meet of the winter term, the women were eager and hungry to compete against a very talented and deep Saint Benedict team,” said Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “At this point in the season, we know that the intense training can challenge opportunities to post season-best marks, but the women showed quite a bit of determination and generated strong results. I was both impressed and proud of the resilience they showed today in all of their events.

“Despite the loss, this meet was a confidence boost for our team, they fought hard in each event and never let up.” Saint Benedict picked up a 189-111 dual meet victory.

The Knights are in action next Saturday, Jan. 21 at Saint Mary’s University.