Martin wins twice, Men 9th at MIAC Championships

<st weekend meteorologists were left stunned as, bolstered by vicious winds and spitting rain, Ty Martin ’11 blazed a 110 meter path of destruction on the Gustavus Adolphus College track.
Gustavus officials acknowledged that the event was the strongest they had seen since an F3 tornado struck the campus in 1998. Martin’s performance was undoubtedly more positive, as he ran a time of 15.15 seconds to win the conference title in the 110 meter hurdles.  Martin returned later, whirling around the track en route to an upset victory in the 400 meter hurdles, holding off a charging Gustie down the home stretch. Martin finished with a personal best and NCAA provisional qualifying time of 54.12 seconds, his performances leading the Knights to a ninth-place finish at the MIAC Championships.

“It feels really good to have the pressure of the hurdles off,” confided a relaxed Martin after his second conference title of the day.

Saturday there was also more proof that running is generous towards Marcus Huderle ‘14. Huderle hung out with the leaders for much of the steeplechase before finishing in fifth with a time of 9:41.

“I’m just glad to know that running loves me,” remarked Huderle.

Meanwhile, freshly shorn John Davis ’11 took advantage of a newfound lack of (h)air resistance to take eighth in the same event in 9:47. Brian Spisiak ’13 closed off a solid season with a personal best 9:52. Lacking fishing licenses, all three Carls were forced to avoid the large carp inhabiting the water pit.

Kian Flynn ‘12 helped keep the 1500 meter prelims honest, painting a tactically beautiful race that allowed him to qualify for finals in a personal best 4:08 and was met with rave reviews from around the art world. Flynn’s race was acquired by a private collector and is expected to be auctioned off in June. The phenomenal Flynn returned on Saturday to place 12th in the 1500 meter final.

Fifteen percent of the United States’ energy is provided by nuclear and renewable sources. The other 85% is generated by Carleton’s 4×400 meter relay team, consisting of James Morrissey ‘12, CJ Dale ‘13, Jordan Butler ‘13, and Martin. These four Carls dropped about five seconds from their season best to take seventh place in the final event of the meet and provide enough electricity to power the country until next January. 

Josh Campbell ’13, master of the clutch late-season performance, popped out an inspired opening leg to propel Carleton’s 4×800 meter relay of Campbell, Matt Harrison ’13, Spisiak, and Huderle to seventh place in 8:08. Maybe good things come in threes. All three Carleton relays took third place as the 4×100 meter relay, consisting of Morrissey, Dale, Josh Estes ’14, and Jordan Soteros ’14 rounded the track in 44.24 seconds.

Although many spectators would claim otherwise, the leaders of the 10,000 meters were not actually running backwards to prolong the event.

“If I’d known I was going to be here all night, I would have brought a sleeping bag,” griped Jacob Hoerger ‘14, glowering as the field slow-jogged by yet again, being outstripped by passing snails.

An extremely tactical race featuring 24 laps of tedium and one lap of absolute insanity ended with Colin Sinclair ’11 in ninth place, running 33:22, while Guthrie Cunningham ’14 came in two places later in 33:36.

“The 10,000 meters takes a lot out of a person; energy and sweat, yes, but blood – I wasn’t expecting that,” quipped Sinclair later through a pained smile.

A tired contingent of Carls representing all four classes contended the 5000 meters in rain and wind Saturday afternoon. Colin Sinclair led the way for the Knights, finishing his collegiate career with a frantic last lap to run 15:58. Hoerger crossed the line in 16:11, while Flynn, running his third race of the meet, and Aaron Hirsh ‘13, suffering from an ear infection and cough, soldiered on bravely to the finish.

Adrian Carpenter ’14 took ninth in the 110-meter hurdles, Dylan Bothun ’11 ran his last race in 16.64 seconds, and Michael Austin ’13 ended an impressive season by running 57.67 in the 400 meter hurdles, missing finals by an agonizing hundredth of a second. Dylan Cheever ’13 set a personal best of 59.52 seconds. James Morrissey ’12 led the Carls in the 400 meters, clocking 51.27 seconds. Butler and Nick Herringer ’14 also competed.

Friday’s gloomy conditions and Saturday’s downright miserable weather made the field events a dreary affair for Carleton. The Carls managed no personal bests or points in the field events, though several athletes competed. Fortunately, all the Carleton field event competitors at conference will return next season.

While the MIAC Championships conclude the season for most, Martin planned to attempt to qualify for Nationals in the 110 meter hurdles in La Crosse, Wis. Thursday. The rest of the track team will turn to other worthy pursuits in the coming weeks, including, but not limited to, the Boonie-Boonie Challenge and Hendecah: a decathlon plus a handstand.

Colin Sinclair is a member of the men’s track team.