Looking Ahead

<ong>Men’s Basketball:

The 2010-11 Knights will look to repeat as MIAC Champions after winning the program’s first playoff title a year ago. Last season, the squad put together a truly memorable postseason run, beating then-No. 3 St. Thomas in the MIAC semifinals before taking care of Gustavus in overtime in the championship.The Knights nearly pulled off a first-round stunner in the NCAA Tournament as well, but fell to eventual D-III champion UW-Steven’s Point, 59-58. With Bryan Rosett the only starter to graduate from last year’s squad, Carleton has a great chance to once again rise to the top of the conference this season. The Knights open the campaign on the road at Wartburg College Tuesday night before playing seven games over break (two in Hawaii). On the first day of classes winter term, head to West Gym at 7:30 p.m. as Carleton will take on Saint John’s.
Players to Watch:
–    Senior Jeremy Sutherland, G: Arguably the best defensive player in the MIAC, Sutherland elevated his offensive game last season, averaging 15.0 points and 3.9 assists per game during conference play to earn All-MIAC honors.
–    Senior Seth Jonker, F: Also an all-conference pick last year, Jonker averaged 14.1 points per game during conference play. Affectionately known as “The Dutch Crunch,” Jonker’s post game will be a critical aspect to the Knights’ 2010 success.

Women’s Basketball:

After a disappointing 2009-10, change is in the air for the Knights as Carleton welcomes back Cassie Kosiba ’03, who takes over for the legendary Tammy Metcalf-Filzen as head coach. After losing starters Annie Eckhoff and Megan Mileusnic to graduation, the 2010-11 Knights will again rely on youth to power them, with only one senior and two juniors on the roster. The squad will travel to Southern California for three games over break before returning home to begin the MIAC season. On Jan. 5 the Knights will host St. Thomas at 7:30 p.m.
Players to Watch:
–    Senior Ally Weaver, G: After setting the school’s all-time three-point shooting record last year, Weaver went on to pace the Knights in scoring at 13.0 points per game and earn All-MIAC honors.
–    Sophomore Akemi Arzouman, G/F: A versatile athlete, Arzouman ranked third on the team in scoring and second in rebounding as a rookie in 2009, earning her a spot on the conference’s All-First Year team. Look for her to turn it up even more in 2010.

Swimming and Diving:

The Knights have already begun action this season, competing in the University of St. Thomas Relays on Oct. 30 and the Cows, Colleges, and Contentment Classic Nov. 6 before participating in the annual Ted Mullin “Hour of Power” for Cancer Research on Tuesday (see story page A1). With none of its top swimmers graduating, the men’s team will look to improve on last year’s fifth-place showing in the MIAC championship. The women’s squad, meanwhile, finished second last year, and with many of its top performers returning, the Knights will push for a title in 2011.
Athletes to Watch:
–    Senior Kale Zicafoose: Holder of numerous school records and a two-time All-American, Zicafoose returns to the pool for one last year of domination in the backstroke and butterfly.
–    Senior Eric Brenner: A blur of athleticism on the diving board, Brenner earned All-American honorable mention last year in the 1-meter competition.

Track and Field

The Knights will begin the indoor portion of the track and field season in late January. The teams will host a pair of meets at the Rec Center in February before holding the conference’s Indoor Championships there March 5-6. At last year’s event, the women’s team finished fourth, while the men took ninth.
Athletes to Watch:
–    Junior Simone Childs-Walker: After another stellar cross country season, the Knights’ superstar returns to the track, where she earned All-American honors in the 5k last year while winning both it and the 10k at the conference championships.
–    Junior Clare Franco: The 400-meter phenom broke the school record at last year’s MIAC Championships, winning the event in 57.57 before finishing 16th at nationals.
–    Senior Ty Martin: The hurdler took fifth in the conference in the 55-meters last year before placing third in the 110-meter event at the spring outdoor championship to earn All-MIAC Honorable Mention.